Intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and operational improvements become increasingly central to effective transportation management as agencies focus on making better use of today’s infrastructure rather than deploying scarce resources to build additional capacity. Cambridge Systematics is a recognized leader in the development of strategies and application of technologies to improve operations performance – including highways, transit, and freight – at the national, state, regional, and local level. Our leadership in ITS policy, planning, and program development has led to advancing some of the nation’s leading ITS planning and evaluation tools. Cambridge Systematics helps our clients create strategies, data management systems, and analysis tools to improve the operation of the transportation system. We want our clients to make the most of their transportation resources.
Our Services and Tools
- Policy, Planning, and Program Development. We provide technical support and outreach to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in advancing the industry toward a focus on systems operation, management, and performance. We have developed ITS business and strategic plans in partnership with regions, states, multistate coalitions, local and national agencies, and state departments of transportation (DOT). Cambridge Systematics helps clients identify and prioritize their needs, develop detailed plans, and build consensus with stakeholder groups to improve transportation operations.
- Traffic Simulation and Analysis Tools. We have pioneered the use of traffic simulation models and other analysis tools for evaluating impacts resulting from deployment of ITS and operations strategies. One of these tools, sponsored by the FHWA, is the ITS Deployment Analysis System (IDAS), which enables the systematic assessment of ITS deployments for integration into the transportation planning process. Cambridge Systematics also is directing the development of the Next Generation Simulation models for the FHWA.
- Using ITS to Improve Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO). Working with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), we supported the development of the National ITS/CVO Program and continue to define policies and projects for ITS application that improve safety and productivity for motor carriers. Cambridge Systematics is a leader in the planning, development, operation, and maintenance of information systems that support the regulation of the commercial vehicle industry.
- Operations Management. We can transform data into information to save money, justify and manage investments more wisely, and improve mobility and safety. Cambridge Systematics implements data collection and management systems, and applies analytical tools to understand current system performance, provide operations support, and fine tune program execution. Cambridge Systematics provides support on systems evaluation, corridor management, benefit/cost analysis, ITS standards, workzone safety and mobility analysis, safety and security, freight management and operations, and development of traveler information systems, road weather information systems, transit ITS, and statewide 511 systems.
- Monitoring and Evaluation. Cambridge Systematics applies objective methods to measure system effectiveness to improve operating performance, help justify funding, and deliver improved levels of service and better decision-making. Cambridge Systematics is a primary supporter for the Archived Data User Service (ADUS) program, the Mobility Monitoring Program, and is a national leader in performance measurement and asset management systems. We conducted the Twin Cities Ramp Meter Evaluation, one of the largest ITS evaluation projects in the United States.
Why Cambridge Systematics
Cambridge Systematics offers our clients a powerful combination of strong technical skills in ITS operations planning, development, and evaluation, and deep experience in practical applications of ITS to improve mobility and safety cost-effectively. Improving transportation operations and management through innovative technology is a core practice for Cambridge Systematics. We have created several of the national software tools and programs that set the standards for ITS and operations in the industry – in partnership with Federal policy leaders – and we support key national initiatives to further the next generation of ITS and operations design and deployment. We work with our clients to create pragmatic and innovative solutions to a wide-range of challenges, always guided by objective analysis, state-of-the-art techniques, and a focus on productive collaboration.
Read more about Cambridge Systematics’ Transportation Operations capabilities.